Copyright ©Archaïos 2018 – All rights reserved
Topographer - Photogrammetrist
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT : Permanent contract
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND : Geomatician Topographer / Archaeologist Topographer / Architect working in Archaeology (minimum 3 years of professionally-oriented experience abroad)
SALARY : based on experience
TO APPLY : Please send a CV and a cover letter of 1000 words max. before September, 1st, 2021 via email with « MuDUD Candidacy – GIS Administrator Position » as the object of the email to these 4 addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
In order to evaluate your experience and abilities you are invited to join a field report and/or an article representative of your work.
As part of the «Historical Investigation of Al-Ula Old Town — Multiscalar Documentation for Urban Dynamics» or MuDUD project, coordinated and funded by AFALULA (Agence française pour le développement d’AlUla) in partnership with the RCU (Royal Commission for AlUla), Archaïos is recruiting a Topographer -Photogrammetrist for the study of the Old Town of AlUla, in northwestern Saudi Arabia.
As a multi-year project implemented by Archaïos and under the leadership of Dr. Apolline Vernet, the Project
Director, since early 2021, the MuDUD Project wishes, through a multidisciplinary approach, to apprehend the
history of the Old Town of AlUla.
Working within an international team of experts, the Topographer is under the supervision of the Project Director and the Head of the ‘Data Management’ Research Department, in collaboration with the Project Manager.
The Topographer will be asked to come to AlUla Old Town (Saudi Arabia) several times a year for 2-months
field missions. Between each mission, they will be working either in Paris, at the Archaïos office, or remotely,
depending on their place of residence.
Under the supervision of Head of the ‘Data Management’ Research Department, the Topographer- Surveyor-Photogrammetrist will, in the field:
• Oversee the recording of the spatial and geographical data in the field with a total station
• Integrate these data in the Project’s GIS in collaboration with the GIS Administrator
• Record the spatial informations coming from the excavations and the Building Archaeology study
• Participate in the photographic documentation and produce the orthophotographs which will be used
as work documentation for the teams in the field
• Export the documentation in different formats (.ply, .obj and .dxf)
• Work in close collaboration with the Database administrator and the archaeologists involved in the MuDUD project
• Keep in touch with the specialists taking part in the ‘Data Management’ Research Department’s
• Respect the analysis schedules imposed by the project
• Adapt their methodologies to the specificities and constraints of the field.
In addition to their field responsibilities and activities, the Topographer-Surveyor-Photogrammetrist
will be required to:
• Generate 3D models allowing their visualization and their use by the other members of the team and
of the project
• Plan the publication of certain models online (Sketchfab or 3DHOP)
• Propose photographic and computational processing to showcase the archaeological information
• Work in close collaboration with the other Research Departments of the Project: ‘Abandonment
Archaeology’, ‘Architecture’, and ‘Building Archaeology’
• Prepare and write, in English, regular reports of the activities in the field
• Demonstrate scientific rigor in the field reports, written in English
• Participate in the publication of the annual reports
• Attend field team meetings and project meetings
• Be a source of proposals and initiatives in the ‘Data Management’ Research Department, and in the
project as a whole.
Member of the ‘Data Management’ Research Department, the Topographer will actively participate in the smooth running of the MuDUD project as a whole, through true collegiality.
The Topographer must:
• Master shooting for photogrammetry
• Master photographic and photogrammetry processing softwares
• Master orthophotographs generating
• Master the use of a total station
• Have background knowledge in field registration in archaeology
• Have background knowledge in built façades and built heritage registration
• Master and produce vector files
To do so, the Topographer must master:
• Agisoft Metashape
• Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom)
The Topographer must also have the following qualities:
• Good adaptability to fieldwork in difficult climate conditions (hot and arid)
• Capability to anticipate needs
• Capability to work in urgency and under tight deadlines when the situation arises
• Good at prioritizing tasks
• Diplomacy and discretion
• Resourcefulness and versatility
• Knowing how to keep it cool in all circumstances, and being resistant to stress
• Being able to work in an intercultural environment
• Having at least a B1 level in English
• Knowing and speaking a little Arabic would be a real plus
• International Driver’s license (desired)